Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Picture books...stories that everyone love!

There is this pretty cool website that has a time line of picture books, going all the way back to 1658...wow that's a long time!!  I am absolutely obsessed with picture books, I have loved them ever since I was little. The first picture book that I could read to my mom was The Hungary Caterpillar by Eric Carl. One day, I plan on writing and publishing my own picture books. I have a notebook full of different ideas. Right now I am planning a story that will be about a five year old girl named Peggie and her best friend Johnny. They have big imaginations and love going on adventures. I just wish I had more free time to actually sit down and try to actually write something.
 Anyway, back to the site:

I actually know quite a few of the books on the time line, Some of my favorites include:
The Tale of Peter Rabbit 
Madeline (I love these books!!)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Velveteen Rabbit
And to Think I saw it on Mulberry Street(my grandma and I read this together all the time)
Curious George
Harold and the Purple Crayon
The Cat in the Hat
Little Bear
   Little Blue and Little Yellow
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
The Very Hungary Caterpillar
Frog and Toad are Friends
Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
The Polar Express
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
 I never realized how old some of these stories are, I mean the first book I recognized was The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter in 1902.That's over 100 years ago!! I also noticed that most of these stories have been made in to children's tv shows and movies. Take Little Bear for example, I remember my mom reading the stories to me, but I am more familiar with the television show. I used to watch it literally every day. Actually, I am guilty of still watching it nowadays whenever I see that it is on tv.  

I had so much fun looking at all of these books...and who knows maybe in the future one of my picture books will be on the time line :)

No comments:

Post a Comment