Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bright Young Things pgs. 1-25

By: Anna Godbersen

Summary:
It's May 1929, the last summer of the roaring twenties.  Cordelia Grey is about to get married to a man named John. She is 18 years old, an orphan living with her Aunt Ida, and a recent high school graduate. She doesn't really want to get married so she asks her friend, Letty Larkspur, to run away to New York City with her. Letty is from a somewhat normal family. She has a father and two younger sisters. Her mother has passed away and her father is still grieving. He doesn't let Letty live her life, so when Cordelia asked her to run away she didn't even think twice, she got her suitcase packed and walked out the front door. They nearly miss their train to New York City but get on at the last second. While on the train Cordelia and Letty talk about what they want to accomplish in New York. Cordelia hopes to find her father. All she knows is that she was born in NYC and that her father abandoned her. Letty hopes to become a famous singer and actress on Broadway.

Response:
I decided to read this book for two reasons: 1) I read this author's other series called The Luxe. It's about upper class socialites in the late 19th century.  I was hooked and fascinated throughout the entire series. 2) In my APUSH class, we are learning about the roaring 20s and the great depression. So, I thought it would be cool to read this book. Anna Godbersen usually writes about historically accurate events and writes as if she actually lived in this day and age. I also am excited to read this book because the 1920's is my favorite decade. If I could have been born in a previous life, I would have defiantly wanted to be a flapper in the 20's. I just love how much new technology was developed, how women got more rights, and how America became all around more social. I sometimes believe that I wasn't meant to live in this day and age because I love dresses (like the old fashioned kind), and I sometimes think the way women back in the day thought. I think I would have done better living back in the 20's or 40's, but I do love living my life in the era of new technology :)

No comments:

Post a Comment