Sunday, February 20, 2011

Handle With Care pgs. 66-477 (end)

*I got so nto this book that I literally couldn't put it down long enough to summarize chunks at a time, so I am just going to do an overall summary of the book from where I left off with my first post.*

Summary:
Charlotte talked to Marin Gates, her lawyer, and was informed that if she did in fact win this case of wrongful birth, she could get enough money to be sure that Willow will be able to have all things necessary to be sure that she lives as normal a life as possible. She tries to get her husband on board with the case, but he knows that he will be flat-out lying if he gets up on the stand and claims that he wishes Willow had never been born. Charlotte decides to go through with the case, even though she knows that her husband is not on board, and that she will lose her best friend Piper. Piper was Charlotte's obstetrician and best friend, so it wasn't surprising to hear that when she got served by Charlotte their friendship was over with a capitol O.

By going through with the trial, Charlotte started to destroy her family. Her husband thinks he's losing the woman he married, and his falling out of love with her. He eventually files for divorce. Also, Charlotte's oldest daughter, Amelia, felt so unwanted and invisible.  She felt like her mom and dad only cared about the well-being of Willow and she learned that she could make herself feel better about being neglected by hurting herself. So, Amelia started binging and barfing (otherwise known as the eating disorder Bulimia) and cutting. She enjoyed the pain that cutting brought and the way that forcing herself to commit made her feel like crap.  Willow was also affected by the trial because she knew what her mom was saying about her to the public and couldn't help thinking that what her mom kept saying was true...that she would have aborted Willow if she had the option. So, Willow starts to try and hide her breaks from her parents, hoping that if she didn't break as often they wouldn't want to get rid of her.

When the trial finally comes, it's a constant back and forth battle. After two days of interrogating witnesses to share their stories or give the facts, the case seems to be going nowhere.  So far the only good thing that happened in the trial was that Amelia was caught cutting and barfing, and Charlotte and Sean worked out their issue and dropped the divorce. The trial hits a turning point when Amelia gives her testimony. She intends it to ruin her mother because she's so mad at her, but actually ends up helping her mother.

Charlotte ends up winning the case and gets 8 million dollars to help pay for anything that Willow will ever need.  Just when you think it's going to be a happy ending, the unthinkable happens....wanna know what it is? Well, I guess you will just have to read the book ;)

Response:
This book was so good. I love Jodi picoult's writing so much, especially how she makes each chapter from someone else's point of view. I can't say that I was a fan of the ending though, it totally made me so mad.  It was just so shocking that at first I didn't know what had happened. So, I went back and read the last page again and finally got it.  It was so sudden that I didn't even have time to process the tragedy, it's something that if it was in a movie I would totally bawl my eyes out. But when I was reading the book it happened so fast that by the time the tears welled up in my eyes, the book was over and I got over it. Lol, overall I would definately recommend this book to anyone who loves reading about court cases and law-like stuff.

1 comment:

  1. One of our best blogs. Love the way you log Glee, too. It's really entertaining, the way your enthusiasm comes across for the show.

    ReplyDelete