Monday, January 17, 2011

The Hunger Games...a summary of Part I

by: Suzanne Collins

Summary:
Part one is called "The Tributes".  This amazing novel begins with our main character, Katniss Everdeen, getting ready to go hunting illegally with her best friend, Gale, to get food for their families.  They are very stressed becasue today is the reaping, the day when the tributes are chosen to compete in the Hunger Games.  Katniss lives in the 12th district in the country of Panem. There are twelve different districts, and each district has a special forte that helps keep the capitol running. The Hunger Games is a televised event in which 2 tributes from each of the 12 districts must compete to the death.

At the reaping, a boy and a girl are chosen to compete in the Hunger games; if your name is chosen you have to compete unless someone volunteers to take your place, but rarely no one does. This was the case for Katniss and her sister Prim. Prim was chosen, but Katniss volunteered to take her place.  The guy tribute was Peeta. After Katniss and Peeta were chosen they were sent to the capitol where they got their own stylists to make them look good for all of the press things they had to endure. Katniss and Peeta's mentor, Haymitch, helps them with their training. Right before the games begin, there is a huge interview that each of the tributes must do.  This interview is critical becasue the tributes get sponsors to help them throughout the games based on what they say in the interview.  In peeta's interview, he confesses that he is in love with Katniss.....

Response:
Oh. My. Gosh! This book is so good!! I absolutely loovveee it :) You literally will be hooked from the very first page...I know because it has happened to both me and my sister.  I had just finished the book and my sister asked me if she could just read the first page so she could see if she would like it.  I told her ok, but that she wouldn't be able to put it down after the first page.  Next thing I know...she is on like the 20th page! I literally had to pry it out of her hands...it was so funny :) It took me a lot of effort to put the book down each time I was finished with a chunk...I've had a few late nights reading this...which I think is definately a sign that it's ah-mazing!

Total pages read: 130/374

No comments:

Post a Comment